For all you Red-Capped MAGAts with short attention spans:
- Referring to severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) by any other name is incorrect. If your name were "MAGArette," would you want to be called "Ima Coont"..?
- Calling it “the Chinese Virus” or “the Wuhan Coronavirus” is stigmatizing at best and racist at worst.
- Finally, anyone who compares COVID-19 to the common flu is just plain fucking stupid.
The illness caused by SARS-CoV-2 has been referred to by multiple names.
- Medical journals referred to it as “2019 Novel Coronavirus.”
- Nature called it both “Wuhan coronavirus” and “China coronavirus.”
- CNN reported on the “Wuhan coronavirus” in early February.
- Incompetent, racist twats insist on calling it a “foreign virus” or “The Chinese Virus.”
- Would you believe that suck ups and other racists cunts laugh over “Kung-flu”..?
- It is not the flu and it never has been. Influenza is caused by a completely different virus.
What is the name for the novel 2019 coronavirus?
The final word on what to call the virus and its associated illness has been decided by the ICTV and the WHO. On Feb 11th, The World Health Organization named the illness caused by the 2019 Novel Coronavirus "Corovavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)."
What is the name of the disease caused by SARS-Cov-2?
On March 2nd, 2020, the International Committee on the Taxonomy of Viruses, officially named the virus that causes COVID-19 "severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)." Importantly, the WHO avoids referring to SARS-CoV-2 by name because (emphasis added):
For that reason and others, WHO has begun referring to the virus as “the virus responsible for COVID-19” or “the COVID-19 virus” when communicating with the public. Neither of these designations are intended as replacements for the official name of the virus as agreed by the ICTV